ThayerAvenue.com

I Feel A Draught

The Washington Post (specifically, the Going Out Gurus) are reporting that the Wheaton Mall complex Westfield Shoppingtown Wheaton is getting a Montgomery Cinema ‘N’ Drafthouse. It will be slightly larger than its Arlington sister at 32,000 square feet and will show a variety of films – including first run films (at $8.50 – $9), some middle-of-the-road films (for $6 and under), and will even offer $1 movie nights from time to time.

The current P & G Theater will close in April and re-emerge in “late summer” as the Montgomery Cinema & Drafthouse. And in addition to movies, the facility will have stand-up comedy and broadcast sports events, among other things.

All that having been said, I’d still rather go to AFI to see a movie and forego the truant-ridden Wheaton area. Ever since El Pollo Rico burned down, I’ve had no reason to trek up there (and, frankly, less of a reason for being).

Speaking of theaters…
I got an email a short time ago from someone who had their purse emptied during a movie at our esteemed Majestic Theater. It must have been a real stealth operation, as the perp got into the purse, took out the cash, and returned the wallet to its normal place with credit cards and such intact. Keep your eyes peeled.

And back on the subject of beer…
If any of our friends at the Hook & Ladder Brewery are listening, I encourage you to email me. We’re all looking forward to the opening and I’m more than happy to shill for you guys as time draws nigh.

10 comments Digg this

10 Comments so far

1. thecourtyard March 25th, 2008 1:03 pm

Westfield dropped the “Shoppingtown” part several years ago. Today, it’s just Westfield Wheaton. I still call it Wheaton Plaza, but I fear I must be a dying breed.

This is encouraging, though, because the P&G tried running some “indie” movies to compete with the AFI last year, and it must be at least a little successful if the Cinema ‘n’ Drafthouse wants to set up shop here.

2. Bonifant more sinister than Thayer March 25th, 2008 2:31 pm

My first thought was also “we have AFI” why trek to Wheaton. But then I thought about it some more, and AFI isn’t so much a place to eat and drink at midnight movies. We need that, like they’ll need to install barf bags in the Y8.

3. Sligo March 25th, 2008 3:15 pm

But what about the Bollywood movies at P&G??

4. Springvale Roader March 26th, 2008 6:27 pm

Well, the AFI did have midnight showings of “Texas Chainsaw Massacre” on Halloween, at which I took advantage of their highly civilized beer-at-the-seats policy.

On the other hand, I would love a Cinema & Drafthouse, but that mall in Wheaton is skuzzy and skanky on the best of sunlit days; after dark, I’d rather stay home and drink. At least that way, I won’t get mugged.

5. Eric March 26th, 2008 7:12 pm

I think you make a good point: it would really depend on the movie and day/time. Texas Chainsaw Massacre might actually be a good one to watch at Wheaton C’n'D at midnight on a weekend.

And unfortunately, I’ve never seen any Bollywood movies at P&G.

6. Boris March 31st, 2008 8:42 am

Hi Erick,
    nice new movie place at Westfield Shoppingtown. Thanks for letting us know. Though I won’t be going there. I’m not too found of that area. I’m more fan of Rockville area Regal 13 or Germantown Rio. I am surprise that they will movies for $1 and $6 with $8-$9. Interesting way to draw in public. I wonder what kind of movies will cost only $1. Probably old movies that you can see on your tv.

7. Janie Spector April 1st, 2008 6:38 am

I had a friend get robbed at gunpoint as he got off the Wheaton Metro to attend a movie at this mall…Welcome to Wheaton!
    I live in Wheaton –just moved here 6 months ago.
    I’m realizing that “rich in multi-cultural flavors” really means G-H-E-T-T-O

I’ll schlep to downtown Silver Spring until they get that Metro scene cleaned up–not a place to be after dark

8. Sligo April 1st, 2008 11:19 am

I seem to recall that a 14-year-old girl was raped INSIDE THE METRO STATION about 10 years ago.

9. David April 3rd, 2008 7:27 am

On a related crime update, this Wednesday’s Gazette had a small article about how Rohan Campbell was convicted of killing Mark Ray back in August out front of the Silver Spring towers on Easley Street. Campbell was also convicted of kidnapping when he forced the cab driver at gunpoint to drive him away from the scene of the crime. He was also convicted of some gun charges and faces up to 125 years in jail

10. RoseG April 3rd, 2008 11:31 am

I don’t want to hang up on details, but the P&G theater isn’t that near the Metro station. I don’t really see folks riding Metro to go there. It seems more likely you’d drive, in which case there is plenty of parking, most of it in open outdoor lots that I consider to be less crime-ridden than the multi-story lots you have to park in when you go to Bethesda.

I’ve been up there to see some of the Indie movies they were running and I thought it was fine. The seating wasn’t quite as fancy as the AFI but the tickets didn’t cost as much either. Another good less expensive theater is the P&G at Greenbelt.

While I do keep my wits about me when I go to Wheaton, I haven’t found it to be so dangerous. I think fears associated with the upcoming draft house are over-blown.