ThayerAvenue.com

My Kingdom for Live Music

And while I like some of the music at Austin Grill, that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m going to 9:30 next week for the Rev. Horton Heat (which I do EVERY year), and I like the idea of another “9:30″ club within walking distance, but I think Mr. Hurwitz should have thrown his hat into the ring a long time ago. A few thoughts and concerns about the whole mishegas:

Live Nation Acts
In part of his diatribe, Hurwitz/IMP claims that acts that come to The Fillmore will mirror national programming/tours. Really? I thought there would be a variety of acts coming in. And what about the availability Live Nation promised for community events? Seems to me that IMP’s Merriweather Post Pavilion mirrors that exact same M.O.

“Nation” is Closed
He puts this up there like Live Nation can’t keep a club open. I enjoyed my times at Nation (Thursday Leather Night anyone?), but I got two words for you: baseball stadium.

Community Input on Scheduling Acts
This sounds like a great idea, but as Silver Spring, Singular wrote, that would actually be a nightmare. And it’s the only meeting I would attend regularly if only to thwack down all the people who would try to recreate The Birchmere by proxy.

Food
Now on this, Hurwitz has me. I would like a kitchen in there. Otherwise I’m gonna have to go by The Quarry House and grab some tots before every show.

Most Important: THE NAME
Silver Spring Music Hall? BO-RING. Can’t we think of something better? I’d love to hear your thoughts, but in the meantime, here are some of mine:

1. 86 – It is, after all, the 8600 block of Colesville
  2. Nation – Homage to the destructed, and a big finger to The Fillmore parent
  3. Club Sligo – And no, Singular, I don’t mean you
  4. SHIT – Seth Hurwitz Independent Theater
  5. Thayer Hall – For obvious reasons, my favorite

Just a few starters, as my brain is fried. Will update a final list in a new post once everyone has had their say. If Seth wants to do this, he better do it right.

UPDATE: I spoke with Audrey Shaefer from IMP this morning and am very much of the mindset that this needs to be opened up for further discussion. More to come on this subject later in the day…

7 comments Digg this

7 Comments so far

1. Sligo November 9th, 2007 9:12 am

I know: “Silver Springs Music Hall”

2. Bonifant more sinister than Thayer November 9th, 2007 9:39 am

“Silver Springs Music Hall” to me sounds like Hurwitz planning to book second-tier acts that won’t compete with the 9:30 (and compete, instead, with the Birchmere and Black Cat back stage).

For me, not having food is a selling point. We want people to eat at the other establishments before and after shows — that’s part of the economic development piece.

Names:
    The Bonifantastic
    The Turf Club
    The Moshe Pit
    Bob’s Country Bunker (er… what kind of music do you usually have here?)

I’m all for listening to Hurwitz, though. I think having the competition for The Fillmore is going to get us a better deal inked more quickly. If the Fillmore doesn’t get moving, we have a great second option.

(Oh so looking forward to The Rev & HWII next week)

3. Eric November 9th, 2007 10:14 am

Regardless of the details of the offers from both Live Nation and IMP, all options really need to be entertained. IMP appears to be the better deal for the county (and its taxpayers), but it’s not even so much about that.

How about a name that includes “JC” or “Penny” in some fashion?

4. Bonifant more sinister than Thayer November 9th, 2007 10:29 am

The Pennyroyal Tea Room

5. Sligo November 9th, 2007 11:08 am

Move ‘em on, head ‘em up,
    Head ‘em up, move ‘em out,
    Move ‘em on, head ‘em out Rawhide!
    Set ‘em out, ride ‘em in
    Ride ‘em in, let ‘em out,
    Cut ‘em out, ride ‘em in Rawhide.

6. Both kinds-- Country AND Western November 9th, 2007 1:03 pm

I hear that if you buy Thayer Avenue enough cheap beers, he’s been known to do a mean karaoke version of Rawhide. (Complete with whip sound effects.)

Reason enough to push for karaoke night at the new venue?. . .

7. Eric November 9th, 2007 1:30 pm

And if I get *really* drunk, “Stand by Your Man” creeps into the repertoire.