ThayerAvenue.com

Making a visible difference in MoCo

A friend of mine ran across this old photo while scrounging through his computer.

A Visible Difference

Hope everyone had a great 4th of July!

8 comments Digg this

8 Comments so far

1. thecourtyard July 5th, 2007 10:12 am

Wow. I feel like a little kid again, forbidden to leave the apartment because my parents were afraid I’d get shot in the street. Strangely enough, those were good times for me, and I feel forever bonded to Downtown Silver Spring because of it.

For a look at today’s Silver Spring, check out yesterday’s photographer protest at Just Up The Pike.

2. Sligo July 5th, 2007 1:56 pm

This photo inspired me to write a whole post…

3. Eric July 5th, 2007 2:30 pm

Fantastic. Can’t wait to see what you get in response.

4. Sligo July 6th, 2007 1:24 pm

Does your friend have an original (higher res) version of this photo that he wouldn’t mind me using? I want to set up a Flickr group and need some photos to get it started.

5. Eric July 6th, 2007 1:41 pm

He sent me a hi-res version. Will forward tonight.

6. Signe July 6th, 2007 10:09 pm

Eric: John thinks he took the photo in 1994, back in the carefree pre-kid days when we were at the Quarry House three nights a week.

Silver Spring covers a lot of ground – my address growing up was Silver Spring and we lived all the way out on Norwood Road about 1/4 mile from the Red Door Store.

7. Johnnyland July 18th, 2007 4:32 am

When I took this photo, it was about the time that they were erecting a bust to Norman the Bum and naming an alley after him. The bust is in the alley on Georgia between Silver Spring Ave. and Bonifant St. (Right between the old Pet Store and the Western Auto. That dates me!) He was not a nice man, kind of a creepy, scary guy. But, this is how they spent their money, whether public or private. Putting up that bust while the rest of Silver Spring was falling down was quite a source of entertainment amongst my friends. Like the Titanic – and the Band Played On.

8. Silver Sprung Sucks December 23rd, 2007 1:16 pm

I have in this town my entire life and think the past 7 years have slowly erased the charm and personality this town once had. I wish Duncan was never born. I remember a time about 10 years ago when you could walk on your hands across rush hour George Ave.

Personally, I miss the Skateboarders at the Armory and the crazy people walking around the streets. Both of these groups never bother anyone and added a unique style to this town. This is nothing more than Bethesda 2.0 now.

When I got outside and see all the horrible rude people, I wish for the A bomb to strike us.